Sunday, April 4, 2010

Handpainted Glass Baby Bottles

These are super easy to make!  I've been trying to find fun BPA free baby bottles and have yet to find any.  So, I made my own.  I bought a 3 pack of glass baby bottles - Evenflo Classic Glass Bottle 4 oz, 6-Pack $11.99

Since the bottles are not smoothly round but have more of an octagon shape, its very hard to use the actual paint.  I decided on using the Vitera Paint Markers which are dishwasher safe after being put in an over at 250 degrees.  *Follow the instructions on the pen to be exact!  I also used the Vitera 150 paint for the butterflies, ladybug, and flowers.

If you'd prefer not to do this free hand, which being a horrible artist myself I couldn't bare to even try it, then sketch it out first. 

Step 1: On a paper cut to the exact size of the bottle draw out your design.  While drawing keep in mind that your pen or pencil draws a much thinner line then the paint markers.

Step 2: Place your design template into the botte and fill with rice, beans, or cherios!  The idea is to keep your paper from moving about while you draw.

Step 3: Begin to draw.  Have a wet rag on hand to clean up any mistakes or sharpen any lines.  You have a grace period while the paint is wet, once it dried its nearly impossible to clean up!  Though it is possible.

Step 4: Once your satisfied with your design, remove the filler and paper.  Place the bottle ONLY into a cold oven.  Set your oven to 250 degrees for 15 minutes.  Remove after the oven has cooled down.  Most importantly, follow the instructions that comes with the paint - these are the instruction I recieved with the kit I bought.

Step 5: Wash in your dishwasher on the top rack.


You can have some fun with the design knowing the background will be white, at least for the first year! 

I've made several for babyshowers as well, they've been a huge hit everytime.  Once you have your template created, the actual drawing takes little time.
I also painted some baby food jars.  I use them for collecting little art supplies like scraps of tissue paper from past crafts or jewels that fall off projects just begging to be used again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Share/Bookmark